GEAPP is focused on the symbiotic challenges of solving energy poverty within an equitable energy transition.
The Global Energy Alliance for People and Planet (GEAPP) is a collective action platform with a radically collaborative approach.
Our work is tailored to affect a systemic intervention on all aspects of market failures that have resulted in insufficient access to modern energy for billions of people and a worsening climate crisis. The alliance is a coalition of committed anchor, investment, and upstream partners all working together towards a shared mission, in partnership with countries in Africa, Asia, Latin America and the Caribbean to:
- Reduce Carbon: As an alliance we are working to reduce 4 gigatons of future carbon emissions
- Expand Access: Extending sustainable, reliable, productive-use energy to 1 billion underserved people
- Create Jobs: Enabling 150 million new jobs that generate inclusive economic growth and sustainable livelihoods for local communities
Clean Energy Solutions
1. Fossil fuel transitions
Decommissioning and repurposing large, aging coal plants
2. Grid-based renewables
Deploying utility-scale generation, storage, distribution, and transmission
3. Distributed Renewable Energy (DRE) systems
Scaling mini-grid and roof-top solutions to off-grid and underserved communities
GEAPP works systematically and simultaneously to deploy three levers:
- Enabling Environments: Building capacity and market conditions for private sector solutions
- Innovation and Entrepreneurship: Catalyzing new business models to crowd in private sector solutions
- Risk Capital: Deploying high-risk capital to encourage private sector solutions, and assist just transition solutions
Nigeria is Changing Energy For Good
Access to reliable and affordable energy has the power to transform communities like Shimankar in Nigeria - creating new jobs and helping businesses thrive.